Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Like water for ... rice

Less books that lend themselves to plain boiled rice ...
My son's English teacher likes to keep things interesting, fresh. So each term students present a book to the class, of their choosing, and bring in a food item that somehow matches the story. Unfortunately, this term Mr12 chose the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy. He brought in a pot of boiled white rice. And then he brought the pot home again. Full.

Which led to me handing out some bad advice. Kids, pick only books which lend themselves to excellent food choices. I got the ball rolling with two entirely inappropriate but obvious recommendations.

"How about Like Water for Chocolate?" I asked.

"What's that about?" Ms10 inquired.

"Um, chocolate ... and love ... sex ..." My voice trailed off.

"I know, I know. The peculiar taste of lemon cake." This would definitely be my top pick for delicious and easy book-food choice.

Again from Ms10. "But is that appropriate?"

"Nah, not really." And I thought about the very adult themes of a book written in the voice of a teenage girl with an unusual supernatural power: she can sense everything her mother is feeling through her cooking, literally. Which leads her to the eventual discovery that her mother is having an affair. Amongst other things.

At this point I was pretty much out of ideas. Apparently books that lend themselves to great food tend towards the raunchy. Which is fine, except when you are a mother attempting to be vaguely appropriate.

So help me out. What are your book recommendations for tweens and teens that lend themselves to great food? Or even okay food. Pretty much anything but white rice.
More books that lend themselves to food involving this ingredient

11 comments:

Mark Fendrick said...

All my life I have associated oatmeal raisin cookies with the book A Separate Peace. (cookies raisins in)

mamabook said...

That is a good suggestion. Your cookie raisin cookies are similar to our Anzac biscuits - just add coconut and take away raisins. Are the cookies featured in the book or just a feeling the book gives you?

Mark Fendrick said...

The main character's younger brother asks for "cookies raisins in" in the book. As a kid I learned how to make them myself and to this day they are the only cookies I like.

The ANZAC biscuits I have had are hard (crunchy) where a good oatmeal cookie (with or without raisins) should be soft.

mamabook said...

IMO a good Anzac biscuit will also be soft. I hate hard.

Mark Fendrick said...

OOOOPS - just realized - that should have been The Human Comedy not A Separate Peace. Been a long time. Read both back to back in high school.

ourbigexpatadventure said...

Hmmm... "He Died With a Felafel In His Hand"?

mamabook said...

Hah! That could be good. I like falafel. Hoping nobody suggests "How to eat fried worms".

monkeyboyzmum said...

what about How to eat Fried Worms?

mamabook said...

Yes, that one sprung to mind. And was quickly rejected ;-) Although if I don't have to eat the worms I am totally cool with subjecting the English teacher and class to this delicacy.

Turf Supplies Sydney said...

how to eat warm

Rubbish disposal Sydney said...

good post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...